Issue Status - Success!
What ITR said:
- Establish a reasonable limit, that can be exceeded with the appropriate steps, on how much a city's or county's property tax revenue can increase each year.
- Allow citizens to easily understand how local government budgets will impact their property tax bill.
- Require local governments to cast an affirmative vote on property tax increases.
- Success! This bill accomplishes that goal. Transparency, citizen input, and local government accountability will all be increased when Governor Kim Reynolds signs this bill.
Work Left to Do:
- Because this bill focuses on transparency more than hard limits, citizens must engage in the process to control property taxes.
- ITR will keep you informed when cities, counties, and school districts begin local budget discussions.
- It is up to constituents to make local elected officials reconsider sitting back and reaping the windfall of increased assessments.